Do You Need Dental Implants?
There are several restorative procedures that can help rejuvenate and strengthen your smile after tooth loss, but dental implants are the best. If you're interested, Dr. John Lewis at Wichita Dental Group in Wichita, KS can provide dental implants.
More About Dental Implants
Dental implants are one of several restorative procedures to restore missing teeth, like dentures and bridges. Dental implants consist of several parts:
- A titanium post inserted into the jawbone
- A screw that secures an abutment
- A crown matching the rest of your teeth
Your Wichita dentist inserts a titanium post into your jaws to replace your missing tooth root. It provides stability and strength while preventing any weakening or shrinkage of the jawbone. After inserting the titanium post, the dentist seals your gums and allows several months for osseointegration to occur. Following this period, your dentist re-opens the area above the titanium post, inserts a screw, places an abutment above the screw and secures a crown on top that matches the rest of your teeth.
Advantages of Dental Implants:
- They restore bite and chewing function
- Dental implants can last a lifetime
- They fill gaps to give you a wider, fuller smile
Caring for Dental Implants
You need to take proper care of your dental implants. Here are some things preventative measures:
- Getting professional dental cleanings and checkups every six months to remove hardened plaque
- Flossing at least once before bed
- Brushing your teeth for at least two minutes twice a day, while holding the brush at a 40-degree angle
If you have more questions or concerns about dental implants, call Dr. John Lewis at Wichita Dental Group in Wichita, KS, at (316) 265-0849.