Posts for category: Dental Procedures
Dental damage won't repair itself. Because you fractured that front tooth, you need the help of an experienced dentist in the Wichita, KS, area. At Wichita Dental Group, Dr. John Lewis offers lifelike dental crowns, tooth-shaped caps which cover and support teeth harmed by decay, multiple restorations, injury and more.
Give that tooth a second chance
In many cases, extraction isn't the only or best way to solve a pressing dental problem. Dr. Lewis can look at that tooth, X-ray it and assess its future usefulness. Frankly, if you can keep a natural tooth, you'll benefit your dental health, oral function, tooth alignment, jaw bone strength and personal appearance. More often than not, your dentist can place a porcelain crown, performing the entire treatment right in his Wichita, KS, office.
What a crown involves
The treatment is comfortable and straightforward:
- Dr. Lewis numbs the tooth and takes oral impressions to get an accurate imprint of the shape and size of your tooth.
- He removes the old fillings, decay and other damage. (In the case of infection, he may perform root canal therapy first.)
- A temporary filling or crown covers the tooth until the permanent restoration is ready.
- Your dentist removes the temporary restoration and uses a strong cement to bond the new one over the tooth.
Today's dental crowns are known for their beauty, durability and natural fit and bite. You'll adjust to that restored tooth quickly and enjoy how it blends it so well with your other teeth.
Caring for crowns
Be sure to floss and brush your crown carefully, along with the rest of your teeth, twice a day. Pay special attention to the border between the crown and gum line to ensure plaque and tartar do not accumulate.
Stop eating super-sticky and extra-hard foods to avoid damaging your crown. Wear a bite guard at night to reduce grinding or clenching your teeth and wearing down your ceramic crown prematurely, says Healthline.
Finally, see your dentist at Wichita Dental Group in Wichita, KS, twice a year for hygienic cleaning and examination. Dr. Lewis will check the condition of that crown to be sure it's wearing well.
Keep all your teeth
A modern dental crown from Wichita Dental Group can help you achieve that goal. Call our helpful office team for an appointment with Dr. John Lewis. He loves making his patients feel good and look their best. Phone (316) 265-0849.
Do you have a few flaws in your teeth? Porcelain veneers can transform your smile. The restorations offer a simple way to keep many types of imperfections and flaws out of sight. Your Wichita, KS, family dentist, Dr. John Lewis, can help you decide if porcelain veneers are a good choice for you.
What are veneers
Made of durable porcelain material, veneers cover the fronts of teeth to cover up any noticeable imperfections.
Prior to receiving your veneers, your Wichita family dentist will remove a thin layer of enamel and make an impression of your teeth. These steps ensure that your new veneers are not only attractive but completely comfortable, as well.
Porcelain veneers offer an excellent solution for many smile issues
Veneers from can be used to:
- Hide Discolorations: Do you have a discolored tooth due to a large filling or tetracycline use? Your new porcelain veneer will match the shade of your other teeth, improving the uniformity of your smile.
- Conceal Imperfections and Damage: Veneers cover depressions or bumps on the surface of your teeth, creating a smooth overall surface. They're also a good choice if you have a chip or a shallow crack in a tooth.
- Keep Gaps Out of Sight: Orthodontic treatment can be helpful if you have large gaps between your teeth, although this is not always needed for small gaps. In these cases, porcelain veneers can easily conceal the slight spaces between your teeth.
- Change a Tooth's Shape or Length: Porcelain veneers can make an oddly shaped tooth look perfectly proportioned or a crooked tooth appear straight. They also lengthen teeth that have become too short due to night-time grinding or clenching. (If you grind or clench, your dentist may recommend that you wear a custom-made nightguard while you sleep to prevent damage to your veneers or your teeth.)
Give us a call
Rejuvenate your smile with the help of porcelain veneers! Call your Wichita, KS, family dentist, Dr. John Lewis, at (316) 265-0849 to schedule your appointment.
How crowns from your dentist in Wichita, Kansas can give you a smile to be proud of!
If you have damaged teeth, or teeth filled with large, broken down filings, there is no stronger solution than dental crowns! Read on to learn how crowns from your dentist, Dr. John M. Lewis at Wichita Dental Group, PA in Wichita, KS, can give you a smile that you can be proud of!
There are many reasons why you might need crowns. A few examples are if your teeth have been damaged from everyday wear-and-tear, bad-habits, or if your teeth are filled with large, leaking fillings, this could be a sign that decay has started, a presence that could lead to a large loss of tooth structure. Dental crowns cover your teeth above the gumline, like a protective glove, so when you bite down on a dental crown, the biting pressure is evenly spread out across your tooth, protecting the tooth from breaking.
There are different type of crowns made today that include ceramic, resin, or porcelain. Porcelain is a material that reflects light just like natural tooth enamel. A full porcelain crown is the perfect choice for front teeth and teeth that show when you smile. Crowns are an excellent choice for back teeth where you need increased strength for chewing.
Each type of crown have their pros and cons. If you want to learn more about what treatment would better fit your specific situation, call our Wichita office today at (316) 265-0849 to schedule your appointment with Dr. John M. Lewis, located in Downtown Wichita, Ks at the Epic Center.
Do You Need Dental Implants?
There are several restorative procedures that can help rejuvenate and strengthen your smile after tooth loss, but dental implants are the best. If you're interested, Dr. John Lewis at Wichita Dental Group in Wichita, KS can provide dental implants.
More About Dental Implants
Dental implants are one of several restorative procedures to restore missing teeth, like dentures and bridges. Dental implants consist of several parts:
- A titanium post inserted into the jawbone
- A screw that secures an abutment
- A crown matching the rest of your teeth
Your Wichita dentist inserts a titanium post into your jaws to replace your missing tooth root. It provides stability and strength while preventing any weakening or shrinkage of the jawbone. After inserting the titanium post, the dentist seals your gums and allows several months for osseointegration to occur. Following this period, your dentist re-opens the area above the titanium post, inserts a screw, places an abutment above the screw and secures a crown on top that matches the rest of your teeth.
Advantages of Dental Implants:
- They restore bite and chewing function
- Dental implants can last a lifetime
- They fill gaps to give you a wider, fuller smile
Caring for Dental Implants
You need to take proper care of your dental implants. Here are some things preventative measures:
- Getting professional dental cleanings and checkups every six months to remove hardened plaque
- Flossing at least once before bed
- Brushing your teeth for at least two minutes twice a day, while holding the brush at a 40-degree angle
If you have more questions or concerns about dental implants, call Dr. John Lewis at Wichita Dental Group in Wichita, KS, at (316) 265-0849.
How a teeth whitening treatment from your dentist in Wichita, KS, can brighten your smile
Do you want to improve your smile? Perhaps you drink too much coffee, or you smoke, both of which leave dark stains on your teeth? Perhaps your smile is showing the signs of aging, growing yellow and dull. It’s time for you to discover the magic of professional teeth whitening, to bring back your dazzling white smile. Dr. John M. Lewis at Wichita Dental Group in Wichita, KS, wants to introduce you to what a teeth whitening treatment can do for you.
There are many factors that can leave your smile looking dark, dull, and dingy. Drinking coffee, tea, or red wine, taking certain antibiotics can all leave their mark on your smile. Using tobacco products can leave you with dark, stubborn stains. Aging makes your enamel thinner, allowing you and others to see the yellow layer underneath, called dentin. That’s why your teeth appear more yellow or darker as you age.
People choose professional teeth whitening because treatment is:
· Effective; you can whiten your smile up to 5-8 shades and they can remove tough stains from deep layers of your teeth.
· Long-lasting; your results can last up to 3-5 years (this varies from person to person)
Professional teeth whitening treatments are also safe because the materials are rigorously tested and approved by the American Dental Association. Many over-the-counter products contain harmful abrasives and chemicals that can actually make your teeth and gums sensitive.
Professional teeth whitening is the perfect choice if you have a special event like a reunion, wedding, or other social occasion coming up. It’s also a great idea for an important job interview. Nothing says success like a white, beautiful smile!
Be aware that bleaching treatments may not be effective on all types of discoloration and they will not work on restorations such as fillings, crowns, or veneers. So be sure to give Doctor Lewis and his team a call for a consultation before pursuing any kind of whitening treatments and to make sure you’re a suitable candidate for treatment.
You deserve a smile that gets noticed! For more information about the benefits of teeth whitening and other cosmetic dental services, call Dr. John M. Lewis at Wichita Dental Group in Wichita, KS, today at 316-265-0849 to schedule an appointment!